ThinkPad X220 Modified BIOS Update from a Bootable USB
Follow these steps to flash the X220 modified BIOS from a bootable USB:
- On a computer running Windows, download and install the free Active@ Boot Disk 9.4 Demo here. Alternate source here.
- Launch Active@ Boot Disk 9.4 Demo to create a bootable Windows PE USB drive (just follow the prompts and use the default settings – it doesn’t matter if you select NTFS or FAT32 as the file system)
- Download and unzip the modified BIOS and place a copy on the USB drive
- Put this bootable Windows PE USB drive in your X220
- Press F12 as the X220 boots to select the USB drive as the boot drive and wait for the computer to finish booting
- Select the Start menu > System > Command Prompt (Cmd.exe)
- Use the command prompt to navigate to the directory with the modified BIOS. It will be on the drive named ACTIVE BOOT which will probably be the D: or E: drive. If you are not familiar with how to use the command prompt, there is more information here.
- When you get to the right directory, type Flash.bat and then press Enter. Press OK to install the modified BIOS with the Phoenix UEFI WinFlash utility. Restart the computer after WinFlash finishes.